19 Dec, 2018
New Hair’s Resolutions: Our Top 9 Tips for Becoming Hair Goals This Year
Perhaps you had a setback last year. Got some heat damage or maybe your colour went wrong. Sigh! Another big chop. Maybe you’re trying to get over a growth plateau or have your sights set on length retention, because you’re trying to reach hair goals. Well, it’s a new year. And our goal is to help you earn hair crush status.
Our promise is to be here, cheering you on, giving advice, lending support, providing encouragement, sharing inspiration, creating community, and of course continuing to develop premium products that enable you to bring your vision to life. Whatever you need, we’ve got your back…and your follicles. The rest is up to you.
So at the risk of getting all #inspiration, don’t look back a year from now, wishing you had started today. As your journey continues, let this be your go-to guide to help you along the way.
1. Protect what’s yours. We can’t say enough about the benefits of protective styling, but out of sight shouldn’t mean out of mind. While you explore the entire range of protective styling options, going from wigs to weaves, braids to buns to bantu knots and back again, make sure you don’t sacrifice your strands in the process. Err on the side of low manipulation styles and most importantly, be sure to protect what’s yours. #NoEdgesLeftBehind.
2. Create a regimen you can actually stick to. So many of us are just doing too much. Or at least trying to, and unfortunately failing to be consistent. The L-O-C Method is the perfect foundation to achieve and maintain moisturized hair throughout the week, as long as you pay special attention to the ends. You can throw in an S, DC, HOT, or PP (aka a shampoo, hot oil treatment, deep conditioner, pre-poo) as needed, but you definitely don’t need the entire alphabet to achieve fabulous hair. Everything else is a bonus.
3. Stop being your own Scissor Happy Stylist. You don’t have to cut your hair on a schedule i.e. every 6-8 weeks. The search and destroy method is usually sufficient, where you painstakingly search your hair for damage and cut only the strands that are flawed, leaving healthy hair intact. By the same token, you also need to keep it real with yourself when it’s time to trim or gasp, cut it. If your hair is tangling more frequently or the single strand knots are getting excessive, that could be a clue.
If you have split ends, it’s definitely time. They can’t be repaired, so please don’t wait until the hair splits all the way up the shaft. And If you have see-through ends, you are long overdue. Do yourself a favour and just let it go. Whatever style you’re trying to achieve will look infinitely better on healthy, albeit shorter, hair.
4. Clarify. As much as you might love co-washing, sometimes you just need to wash-wash. Dirt and product build-up can get in the way of your goals. Shampoo is not the enemy. The wrong one is, however. By choosing a gentle cleansing formula, like our Moisture Miracle Honey & Coconut Oil Shampoo, you can get clean hair without it feeling stripped.
5. Don’t be so quick to jump on a bandwagon. Just because your favourite YouTuber or guru is recommending something, i.e. a product, method, tool, etc. does not mean it will work for you, even if they have your hair type.
6. Stay away from harsh chemicals, like parabens, sulfates, mineral oils and petrolatum. Read your labels. Prioritize products where premium natural ingredients are actually among the first on the list, and not just in the product name.
7. Be patient. Naturals hear this all the time with regard to reaching their hair goals. They also may or may not roll their eyes, when it’s coming from someone with bra-strap length hair. In this case however, we’re referring to being patient in the every day handling of your hair. Wash, condition and style your hair in sections, twists, braids if you have to, to help avoid single strand knots, split ends and breakage.
Allow yourself plenty of leeway to complete your wash day regimen without having to rush, especially with regard to detangling. Sure, the process may take longer. But so will reaching your goals if you don’t spend the time.
8. Self-care equals haircare. Beautiful hair, and everything else for that matter, starts on the inside. Eat well and stay hydrated. That means upping your fruit and veggie intake, and drinking half your weight in ounces of water; more, if you’re working out. Speaking of which, get your body moving and blood pumping.
Not only will your hair benefit from the proper nutrients and increased circulation, but you might mess around and become body goals in the process too. Not to mention, getting it in at the gym is the perfect way to manage your stress levels, which means you and your hair remain unbothered. #WinWin
9. Wear a satin or silk scarf or bonnet to bed EVERY Night. You can still keep it chic while you sleep. What’s not cute, is breakage; which is exactly what you’ll have if you skip this step. And then all of your other efforts would have been in vain.
Look, keeping your resolutions won’t necessarily be easy, but it’ll be worth it. And when you look back a year from now, and do a length check or marvel at your hair’s health and shine, you’re going to smile to yourself, knowing you crushed it. So, here’s to glowing up together and having the happiest new hair of your life. I’ll drink (a green smoothie) to that!
African Pride Magical Gro Maximum Herbal StrengthKnow More
African Pride Magical Gro Rejuvenating Herbal FormulaKnow More
DISCLAIMER: We endeavour to always credit the correct original source of every image we use. If you think a credit may be incorrect, please contact us at [email protected]